Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sunny Day/Trashy Walk

I walked to Phelps to check out the garden seed varieties at the Phelps Mercantile store and then hiked on up Rt 96 to the Finger Lakes Credit Union to do a little banking. On the way back I started my usual mercenary picking up of discarded, returnable for deposit cans and bottles. Along the 5.5 mile hike home I picked up 30 returnable containers and 22 crushed aluminum cans that go into my aluminum stock pile. I am amazed at the volume of trash along the roads and the mind set [...or lack of a mind] that allows a body to toss out that much "stuff" along this random sampling of NYS highways. And this was only one side of the road.

I could have easily double this amount had I picked up cans/bottles going to Phelps, but how would I carry it all while walking?

No comments:

Post a Comment