Saturday, April 4, 2009

Backpacking Again on the Finger Lakes Trail

Tuesday, March 31st
Sue dropped me off south of Dryden, NY at the same spot where the last hike three weeks ago ended and the next four day's backpack would begin. The day started off calm and in the mid 30's. The backpack contained supplies for four full days of hiking out of Tompkin's county, across Cortland, Onondaga and ending in the central eastern part of Madison county ... a constant series of switch backing up and down large hills and across valleys.

The 96 mile backpack route.

Beaver pond activity observed early on Tuesday.
At higher elevations Monday's snow flurries still cling to the trees.
First panoramic view on Tuesday.

View from the top of Greek Peak Sky Center. Triple point - solids, liquids, & gas exist as mid-day temperatures push into the 50's.
Looking back ... 1.5 hours after leaving the top of Greek Peak.
Resting my feet after 19.9 miles of backpacking at the Woodchuck Lean-to, Tuesday afternoon.
Wednesday, April 1st
The sky is over caste, with sprinkles most of the day. Today I would drop down into the valley and cross under I-81 and then work my way across the Hoxie Gorge, Baker Schoolhouse, and Taylor Valley State Forests, before setting up my tent in a bivouac area with huge hemlocks and spruce trees for my evening companions. Tired after putting in 26.1 miles today. Overnight, as I relieve myself (...outside of my tent of course), I notice that the skies have cleared ...YES!
Crossing under I-81 at Hoxie Gorge.

Crossing Underwood Hill ... a 360 degree view.

"Soup" break.
In steep sided ravines and at higher elevations on the northeast side of hills, snow packs were common.
As the evening rain fell, it was cramped, but "cozy" as I boil water for a freeze dried meal of beef stroganoff . Not bad!

Thursday, April 2nd
Equipment packed and off by 6:28 this foggy morning. By 9:30 AM the day was sunny and warming up fast as I crossed the Cuyler Hill and Maxon Creek State Forests, before entering the hamlet of Cuyler on NY route 13. Several hot/boring miles of highway were backpacked to arrive at the trail head into the Morgan Hill State Forest. Today's hike was 24.6 miles long and a chance to soak my feet in Hemlock brook while getting water for supper was "Great" ... I could even hear my feet singing!
Morning fog
While sipping a cup of soup, I could hear the thumping of a male ruffed grouse courting a potential mate very close by.
Walked through heavy snow packs in the 50+ degree temperature.
Can you fine the Hemlock Lean to in this picture? ... tonight's five star hotel.
Reading articles from Discover Magazine that I ripped out and stapled together while eating dehydrated Italian Pasta with Beef.

Friday, April 3rd
With headlamp on, I started down the Hemlock gorge trail at 6:09 AM. The sky was over caste and rain was on the way as the winds were swirling the tree tops at higher elevations. I had to cover over 27 miles today to reach the designated pull out point this evening by trekking out of Cortland county, across the southwest corner of Onondaga county and into central eastern Madison county by 6PM. The rain and fourth consecutive physical day had me concerned about the potential to maintain my average speed of 2.3 miles/hour which would be required to reach the pick up point by the agreed upon time. With a brief stop at the deserted Skyline Nature center for a hand full of GORP, I proceeded down and across the Dam on Lake DeRuyter when the rain just poured for over 2+ hours. By the time I reached New Woodstock in Madison county the sun started to shine, only to be followed by more rains as I trudged across the Tioughnioga Wildlife Management Area's to the north side to meet Sue on Irish Hill road. I arrived at 5:37 PM, ready for a break

Tinker Falls drops into the Labrador valley.Hang glider take off point into the Labrador valley below.

Which came first? ... the spruce tree or gravestone in this old cemetery near Shackham Pond?

Trail Walking Commentary

...more trail commentary


The view looking north from the Skyline Visitor Center.

A look back toward the DeRuyter State forest across the hamlet of New Woodstock.

Hope you enjoyed the travelogue!
Chendrashaker

4 comments:

  1. You put in some good mileage this trip and ended up with some great photos as well.

    Do you have a total mileage number for your FLT hiking so far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seth,
    I currently have covered about 300 miles of the FLT to date. I hope to complete the total 560 miles before the end of the year.
    Chendrashaker

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow man! those picture are just fantastic, all of them! I mean so because Finger Lake are on of the best places that I have ever been at. Nature is wild and charming in there

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are going to Watkins Glenn State Park in June 2013 for a wedding, but we wanted to go backpacking for about 3 days. Is there a specific trail or area that we should absolutely hit up?

    ReplyDelete