Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Pleasant Day

Attented the spring luncheon of retired Phelps-Clifton Springs Faculty members held at the Clifton Spring Country Club yesterday. I decided to walk to and from the luncheon as it was a bright, mild May day. Walking along the Canandaigua outlet I was able to talk to a fisherman casting in the stream. You can not do that while motoring by in a car or peddling a bicycle. After an enjoyable time with former colleagues, I continued the loop towards home by walking the old RxR bed, exiting by Midlakes High School where I crossed the road into a plantation of trees my biology classes had planted in years past. Although some trees are growing, the area is fast being overtaken by a succession of honey suckle and multifloral rose. At the edge of Flint Creek where my biology classes had completed stream monitoring surveys, I checked a few remaining salamander boards and noting several little 'red backs'. To cross the creek; I removed my hiking boots and walked in with the backwater well above my knees. I could then get onto the Ontario County Pathway which rejoined Rt 96 and then Rt 88. The last three miles of the day's 19.5 mile hike, was along the northern most segment of the Ontario County Pathway, animated by bird vocalizations and splotchy sunlight ... a pleasant day.

No comments:

Post a Comment