Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Power Outage

Woke up this morning to realize that the power was out. Since I am an early riser, I assumed that the power was out in the greater Marbletown area. I proceeded to make coffee with the camp stove with light provided by the Coleman lantern and read for a predawn hour while the wood furnace pumped out toasty heat. Since we received another 6-8 inches of lake effect snow overnight, I blew out the driveway in the early morning light.
Still no power!?
It is now about 8am and a quick check with brother Steve, revealed that he had power and he reminded me that if the power were out, the generator at my parents' house would be running.
Hmmmn???
...guess I had better go check the line to my house.
It was fine. Okay, time to check with Kevin next door, since he is "upstream" of our branch joint power line. Kevin was on his cell phone talking to the power company as I arrived and waved me to take a look back down his driveway.
Yup! ... there was the problem.

Solar panels (background) would not turn on with the 'grid' disturbance.
NYSEG crew working in single digit temperatures prepare to set a new pole.
NYSEG crews prepare to raise the old pole, unwire it and rewire the new pole.
The old pole lashed to the new pole, will remain there until phone & cable companies detach and attach their lines to the new pole.
...7 hours later the Power's ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment